Reverend George Wieneman founded Saint Joseph School September 1950. Sister M. Stephanie, IHM, was the first principal. The school started with six grades, there were three lay teachers and three Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters. The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary served Saint Joseph School and Parish for eighteen years in a tradition of academic excellence.
Early in 1967, a letter was sent out by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles informing the religious communities that the Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters would no longer staff a number of schools. At the request of Cardinal James Francis McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles, and Reverend Edward V. Callahan, Pastor of Saint Joseph Church, the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles assumed responsibility of the school in September 1968.
During the summer of 1968, the Carmelite Sisters moved into a convent which was on Hill Street. Those in the original group were: Sister Mary Bernadette – Principal, Sister Mary Lourdes, and Sister Helen Marie.
In 2010, Saint Joseph School had its first Kindergarten class. In October 2010, Saint Joseph School celebrated 60 years of service to the children and families of Saint Joseph Catholic Church community and beyond. Many alumni were present for the celebration.
In 2014, Transitional Kindergarten began. In July of 2015 a lay principal was appointed and two Carmelite Sisters remained teaching 4th and 8th grades. Less than a year later, a letter was sent out by the Carmelite Sisters stating they would be leaving Saint Joseph School at the end of the June 2016 school year. Saint Joseph School continues to press onward “Siempre Adelante.”
The school is also part of the larger school system of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, and is certified by both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and the Western Catholic Educational Association.